It started life in the 17th century as a home for nuns but The Convent – hidden away in the UK’s Cotswolds – has taken new orders as a hotel and music venue.
Now on the market via Savills for £4m, the Gloucestershire property has been turned into a 14-bedroom hotel with a restaurant, recording studio and private members club. Its restored vaulted chapel operates as a music venue.
The Grade II-listed Woodchester complex, previously known as Poor Clares convent, was acquired by a Franciscan order in the mid-19th century. Victorian architect Charles Hansom added the main convent structure in 1850, while Canon Scoles added a guest house 20 years later.
The last nuns moved out of the sprawling site – whose buildings offer approximately 35,839 sq ft of internal space – in 2011 when the convent closed its doors.
Traces of the Cotswold stone building’s former life can be read in original stained glass windows, ashlar chimneys, stone floors and repurposed pews and period furniture.
A 2,481 sq ft lodge – which is separate to the main building – has also been modernised as a two-bedroom home for the property’s owners.
Further planning permission has been secured to expand the hotel into a 44-bedroom outfit, as well as a broadcast studio. And there are several outbuildings dotted about the 12.8-acre grounds, including former laundry rooms and barns ripe for adaptive reuse.
New owners of The Convent will have plenty of opportunity to leave their mark on the site.