The José Domingos Barreiros building strikes an imposing figure on the corner of Lisbon’s leafy David Leandro da Silva Square, not just because of its bright yellow Baroque façade…
Covering an entire block of the Marvila neighbourhood (some 173,935 sq ft), it was constructed in the late 19th century as the opulent headquarters for the wine merchant after which the building is named. Its impressive façade is matched by equally grand interiors.
The building’s entrance and hallways are decked-out in blue and white decorative tiles dated circa 1928 that pay homage to the area’s agrarian history and its emergence as a hotspot for the city’s wine merchants.
Venture inside the rooms and you’ll find original wood panelling, floors, doors and mouldings have been preserved across the four-storey building. As have lofty double-height ceilings, enormous windows and ornate support pillars with curlicues and cherubic details.
A range of future uses are being mooted for the Lisbon property – on the market via Portugal Sotheby’s International Realty (price on application) – which could be converted for residential, commercial and leisure purposes. Its adaptive reuse would be subject to consent and a mix of the above might be shrewd…
Marvila’s Poço do Bispo is fast becoming the ‘Shoreditch of Lisbon’. While the London neighbourhood is feted for its Victorian redbrick warehouses, Marvila is rife with industrial Art Deco and Baroque buildings that are now being commandeered by the city’s burgeoning tech and creative scenes.
Also on David Leandro da Silva Square is the Abel Pereira de Fonseca wine warehouse, which was reborn as Lisbon Workhub – an enormous co-working space – last year and the smaller photography and film-maker focussed shared workspace, Todos. Good neighbours indeed.