Centuries of history can be read on the walls of The Old Rectory in the sleepy Tyne and Wear village of Ryton, parts of which predate the Tudor reign.
The core of the Grade II-listed North East building dates from the medieval period and was originally a palatial residence built for a bishop. It welcomed a procession of rectors from the Tudor period to the 20th century, each of whom has left their indelible mark on the H-shaped building, including the addition of a handsome Queen Anne facade and baroque interiors.
After hanging up its dog collar, the rectory was sold to a local family, who’ve owned it for 45 years and have maintained its regal character while dividing it into two dwellings.
Stone crosses, dating from 1710, crown the gabled roof and chimney stacks are built in an unusual octagonal design. A grand oak staircase, carved with baroque details, sets the scene inside the hallway, which is matched with wainscotting and carved scroll door casings.
Stone flag floors, Tudor brickwork, original floorboards and an array of windows – gothic stone millions, shuttered and sash – all pinpoint architectural interventions and the passage of time at the building, which is set over three levels. And because of its grand past, voluminous rooms offer a surprising degree of flexibility, despite the house’s age.
Inigo is marketing the Tyne and Wear property for £1.3m as a ‘rare opportunity to renovate one of the most important domestic houses in the North East.’ Take a closer look.