Ghent hotel 1898 The Post has opened in the upper levels of the city’s former post office, with ‘stamp’, ‘envelope’ and ‘letter’ sized rooms.
Designed by architect Louis Cloquet in 1898, the Neo-gothic building sits at the centre of the city. Its intricate exterior is studded with statues and escutcheons, and includes a 54-metre clock tower. The building ceased to be a post office in 2001, and now hosts a shopping centre and the freshly opened hotel.
Zannier Hotels has converted its two top floors into rooms and suites, using dark green walls and antique furniture to complement the building’s existing historic details – which includes original wooden window frames and floors, and sloping ceilings.
Each room is named to reflect its size, with the smallest ‘stamp’ rooms measuring just 20 sq m. Interior designer Geraldine Dohogne has used brass details, dark wood and linen-covered furniture for the rooms, and marble for the bathrooms – which are also painted in dark shades.
Views over the city’s Saint-Michel bridge can be enjoyed from 1898 The Post’s larger Carriage rooms – which include their own sitting rooms – and at the top of the building, guests can stay in an octagonal room, situated in the building’s south-east tower.
Hallways are hung with sketches by Cloquet, and the first floor of the building includes a fireplace, sitting room, long breakfast table, and bar.