Pitched, angled, and flat rooflines give Michigan’s Harper House its signature Frank Lloyd Wright silhouette, while floor-to-ceiling glass captures vistas of Lake Michigan.
The 1953 property was one of the last designed by the architect, who was 83 at its construction. It’s one of just two properties by Frank Lloyd Wright in St Joseph’s, MI, and was commissioned by Dr Ina Harper – a specialist in children’s and women’s health.
The midcentury home sits on a 2.2 acre, fan-shaped plot overlooking Lake Michigan and is made with Frank Lloyd Wright’s signature red bricks and cypress timber, which are exposed across the midcentury property. Frank Lloyd Wright’s original 1,700 sq ft design was expanded to 3,150 sq ft following his death by his Taliesin apprentice Charles Montooth, adding two further bedrooms and a bathroom in the flat-roofed extension.
Rich red timber crowns the great room, whose undulating ceiling follows the line of the nearby tree canopy, while a striking, oversized brick hearth anchors the space, echoing the angles of the room.
Mahogany doors, stained glass and built-in cabinetry are all original, and the $1.96m listing with Anne Gain of @Properties, includes all furniture and artworks hanging in the home.
It’s been lovingly restored and maintained by the current owners, Gina Flamm and Arthur Wolak, who, according to Dwell, have been custodians of the midcentury property since 1996. Since then, they have refurbished the roof and added custom copper fasciae to the trim and updated the kitchen and bathrooms while retaining Frank Lloyd Wright’s original cabinetry.