Ten-year-old design brand Bocci is looking to the future by rooting itself in the past – specifically, a 19th-century Berlin courthouse that’s now home to its ideas lab, archive centre and production hub.
Called Bocci 79, due to its location on 79 Kantstraße, the space is the Canadian maker’s first European outpost. The 1896 structure was a courthouse until 1945, and it housed administrative offices for the local district until 2010.
Empty ever since, the building has just reopened, with creative director Omer Arbel’s organic creations running wild within the 2,200 sq m space, plunging from ceilings and sprawling from room to room, casting a light on the building’s interior architecture at every turn. At the building’s core is a staircase that winds its way around an atrium, where a giant light installation illuminates the six-storey void.