They say it’s hard work moving house, but imagine just how much harder it would be if you were moving bricks instead of boxes. That’s the story behind the GWE Griffith House, which has stood at not one but two locations…
The colonial revival style home is believed to be the handiwork of architect Fred R Dorn. It is named for its original owner George Washington Ewing Griffith, an Indiana transplant and founder of the South Pasadena and the Highland Park Banks. Dorn completed the property at 110 South Avenue 58 in 1903 and was painstakingly moved to its present location in Highland Park’s Garvanza District in 1914.
Garvanza comprises a rare collection of prewar homes (Queen Anne, Shingle, Craftsman, Stick, Mission Revival and Tudor Revival) built outside of the community and later relocated to create one of Los Angeles’ first suburbs.
The Griffith House is Colonial Revival, with Moorish flourishes and a portico supported by handsome Corinthian columns. Craftsman interiors include a carved wooden staircase, hardwood floors, period mouldings, double-hung windows, pocket doors and carved fireplaces with tiled surrounds.
The living room, dining room, kitchen and family room are all on the ground floor, with four bedrooms above. The kitchen, bathroom and laundry room (complete with dog wash) have all been updated, but plenty of original features still speak to the house’s character.
Liz Cappola of Compass is listing 5915 E Echo St for $2.8m. It sits on a tidy 0.22-acre lot, enclosed by a quintessential white-picket fence, with a pool and irrigation system.