This elevated cube house appears to hover above the ground of its forested surroundings in Michigan’s Plymouth.
The midcentury property was built in 1958 by local architect Tivadar Balogh who designed it for his wife Dorothy and their family. It was a Progressive Architecture Award winner in 1957, and in 2012 was put on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Tivadar and Dorothy Balogh House is accessed by a cantilevered slab-style staircase and a tall covered entry court featuring a see-through screen wall. Inside the home, Douglas fir boarded interiors abound, brightened by Mondrian-style blocks of colour.
Its centrepiece is a two-storey living room with a glazed wall that looks onto a walkway and balcony and the trees beyond, while a skylight illuminates the staircase.
For sale for the first time via Real Estate One for $750,000, the two-bedroom Michigan property has been revamped with new paint and carpets. Otherwise, it remains little altered from its original redwood-clad design.