The Coach House is located off Bristow Mews, close to Brixton, and is the centre-piece of a new three-house development by Kinland that revives the Victorian coach house and adds two new-build sustainable homes.
Barn doors, inset with glass, span the length of the property’s facade and recall the original use of the building, which dates from 1895. The old stables and buggy area are now a free-flowing ground floor that’s been drenched in soft neutral shades and textures to create a sense of adaptability and cohesion.
Poured concrete floors run underfoot, while walls have been painted with lime wash and skirting and doors given a pinkish hue. Micro cement worktops, imbued with a dark green pigment, add depth and dimension to the otherwise all-pink ground floor, which includes two reception rooms, a living room and a dining area.
Four bedrooms are located on the upper floor, accessed by a beautifully crafted wooden staircase. Other built-in joinery includes ply storage-turned-seating in the living room’s window, cabinetry, and in the bedrooms, headboards, storage and wall panelling.
The Modern House is listing the Palace Road property for €1.3m.