Udine-based practice Visual Display has restored the ancient Italian city’s historic 1849 restaurant Vitello d’Oro and given its interiors a modern update.
The practice restored the structure of the restaurant, stripping out layers of plasterboard added over the decades to reveal ancient stone walls – now one of the restaurant’s main features. It also discovered original Venetian terrazzo flooring and wooden beams during its work, restoring these as the bones of the 160-seater eatery.
A moody colour palette of dark blue hues and natural tones gives the restaurant’s interiors a sophisticated air, extenuated by gold, disc-like lighting fixtures which highlight the building’s features. Furnishings comes from the likes of Moroso, LaCividina, Gervasoni, Tonon, and Tabula.