This 18th-century townhouse in east London’s Spitalfields has enjoyed many lives through the centuries…
Dating back to 1720, the Georgian structure was originally a Huguenot weaver’s shop. A century later it became a doctor’s surgery after which a succession of businesses followed, including a Russian translation office and a café.
Today, it serves as a gallery and shop for antique dealer Fiona Atkins as well as a two-bedroom holiday apartment for those looking to get a little taste of 18th-century London.
The building was derelict when she bought it back in 2000 so she enlisted the help of conservation architect Jeremy Amos to restore the townhouse. Much of the property’s original 18th-century details remain, including the hall’s wood panelling.
Spread over three storeys, the townhouse has a TV room in the weaver’s attic space, a separate kitchen and living area.
Drawing on her antiques expertise, Atkins has kitted the property out with a mix of period furniture – such as a four-poster king-size bed in the panelled master bedroom – alongside contemporary design pieces by the likes of Philippe Starck.